Sunday, October 30, 2011

experiment with my onion plant - #1

After doing a lot of research today online I found that the green onion or scallion type onion can be regrown. They said to let the plant grow to minimum of 6 inches and then cut about 1/2 an inch above the bulb to regrow.

So I had a couple that were slight over 6 inches about the soil line and I cut them. I smell like onions now, but that's ok.

I then took these three tiny plants and put them back in the soil to see if they will regrow.

Somehow I had trouble with keeping the tiny roots intact, but I'll attempt this test nonetheless.  I still have a small cluster of onions that I will let grow further so if these fail I'll still have some healthy onions growing.

I'll try to post a picture tomorrow. Also, I forgot to mention I placed these in a larger container.

I then took the small scallions I had cut off, rinsed them and put them in the refrigerator for the night. I'm not sure if that's what I was supposed to do with them, but who knows. Maybe I should let them dry out.

I'll have to do some more research.

Here goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment