Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Introduction to Bonsai!

Hi everyone.
My garden is progressing and everything is looking good. Some of my plants were taking a little to get settled in, but now they are all happy and I'm seeing a lot of new growth.

About a week ago I was talking to someone about bonsai plants and looking at things online and found that it was right up my alley. Why had I never tried it before, I asked myself.

Who knew as I'd always admired them and seen tons throughout my travels as a child.

So, I did more research and ended up ordering a couple and then visiting a local bonsai nursery and wow, I can already tell I'm going to be hooked.

There is so much to learn in that there are tons of varieties of plants and trees that can be used for bonsai, there are special tools to use, all kinds of pots, different growth and care habits and so much more.

I wanted to share a few of my plants. A couple or more mature than others, but all are pre-bonsai.
Tropical Cherry

Black Olive Tree

Black Olive Tree




Ficus Plant

Dwarf Pine

Ginger Ficus Tree

Tropical Cherry tree after thinning

Top of dwarf pine

Top of Ficus tree

Trunk and root of Ginger Ficus

So far I'm pretty pumped to see how these do. I will continue to grow them in my sunroom and wait for them to get bigger before shaping them more and putting them in a bonsai pot. I'll be sure to post more updated photos weekly or bi-weekly.

If you are interested in bonsai, would like to start growing bonsai or just like talking about it I've started a Facebook Group to just chat. Look for Bonsai growers and enthusiasts and join us!!

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment