Monday, November 14, 2011

Sharing my garden.

I am enjoying the process of growing my garden and it truly has grown. I started out with one banana plant, then another, and another and another etc. Now I have about a dozen different plants.

I've actually found others quite receptive to my little hobby and have even encouraged others to start their own little garden.

I am happy to say that I am trading seeds with someone I met on bananas.org, sharing seeds with a friend of mine and most recently give some of my Parsley and Mint to my aunt. She uses parsley a lot and liked the idea of being able to grow her own.

I have a couple other people who are waiting to see how my plants do before they start some of their own. I guess some people have been unlucky growing from seed, or even small plants. So I'm happy to say that I have re-awakened their interest and they are more curious than anything.

I am not a seasoned pro or ever had a green thumb, but I'm learning along the way and trying my best to identify issues early on and asking others.

Its funny because I almost killed the easiest-to-grow plant I have, my Aloe Vera. When I transplanted it I watered it and I saw it getting very dark green and not doing well. I later found out that these need light watering every three weeks or so. They like to be in dry soil and are succulents. They actually take in a lot of the water and continue to feed themselves for a long period of time.

I'm happy to say that I stopped watering it and it is thriving.

So the best thing to do when you are unsure is to ask. There is often someone around or online who can help guide you in the right direction. But, not every environment, soil, lighting, food acts in the same way so continue learning and see what works best for 'your' plants.

By sharing my garden I get to learn more and network with some interesting people.

Share your garden today!

No comments:

Post a Comment